Monday, July 22, 2013

Book Feature - Once Upon a Clockwork Tale

All this week, we'll be featuring the authors from Once Upon a Clockwork Tale, an anthology featuring steampunk re-tellings of fairy tales.

Wings - Ella Grey
Born into a world where the fairer sex hides coyly behind fans, Winifred is nowhere near the stereotype. She is fearless and passionate about her father’s scientific work. When the King summons him, Winifred is worried. The arrival of her six brothers and the mysterious Amelia and her silent brother offers distraction, but Winifred's entire world is about to change beyond recognition and it’s up to her to save everyone she loves.








_________________________________________________________________________________

Ella Grey has always loved to write. As much as she loves being a mum and eating strawberry ice cream. She can't picture her life without it. 'Wings' is her first story in the Steampunk genre and it isn't going to be her last. Ella has tackled a lot of different genres and doesn't plan on settling on any particular one. It makes life interesting and keeps it varied. The next project is still being decided but she's leaning toward a YA trilogy that's been bugging her to be written. Her family are used to seeing her bent over a computer and muttering conversations with the people in her head. It's okay, since she's perfectly happily with not being normal.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for joining us!

Thanks for having me.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? 

Hey, I've been a writer for about as long as I can remember but I've only been published for the last three. I've always wanted to be a writer, well it was this or a librarian and there was a time I wanted to be a brain surgeon.

I'm the kind of writer who likes a challenge and if an idea comes through strongly enough, you can find me writing multiple genres.

Why did you choose The Wild Swans for your retelling?

I actually had quite a few ideas for the anthology. I ended up focusing on the Wild Swans because I liked the idea of Clockwork wings and a girl saving her family. The perfect blend of steam and punk.


What prompted your interest in writing steampunk? 

The first Steampunk story I ever read was Lady Dorn by Sean Hayden. It was one of the first eBooks I ever read and I think as a genre, Steampunk can go anywhere. It still took me a few years though before I penned my first Steampunk story.

With this being your first story in the genre, was the transition from fairy tale to steampunk tale difficult to make, or did you find that The Wild Swans actually lends itself to a steampunk kind of world? 

I thought that the story was perfect for a Steampunk retelling. There were a few tweaks to the storyline but at its heart its still the same. A young girl wanting to save her family from a curse.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing “Wings”? 

Making sure that I stayed faithful to the original idea and still giving it a fresh twist.

What’s your favorite part of your story? Of the anthology? 

My favourite part of the anthology is in my story. The climax of Wings needed an epic moment built on the trust and the hope that Winifred has made the choice. That she's reached her twin William, whose been brainwashed. It involves St Paul's Cathedral and a storm. I won't say more than that.

If you’d lived in the London of your story, what do you imagine you’d have done if six black-winged angels had attacked? 

That's a very good question. I like to think that I'm a little like Winifred, a woman with a curious nature. I'd want to find out who they are, try to figure out if they were actually angels.

What plans do you have for the future? 

As I said before I write multiple genres. I have a sequel to an adult story releasing soon and a trilogy of paranormal romance e-shorts with another publisher hopefully out by the end of the year. There is also a urban fantasy series with the same publisher but that will probably not be out till next year. I also need to finish the sequel to Wings as well and I have several ideas for more Steampunk stories. It's going to be a busy few years but I'm doing something that I love, how many people can say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment